Friday, April 18, 2008

It's A Surprise

Just a quick story:
Tonight I was bathing Seth and Luke was getting undressed to join him. Luke got ready to pee and then sat on the potty instead. Then we had this little conversation.
Me: "Are you going to poop?" (Why I needed to ask that I'm not sure.)
Luke: Silence, serious face...
Me: "Well?"
Luke: Big smile..."It's a surprise."

Oh yeah! A surprise for me. (It did turn out to be #2 by the way.) This little incident got me thinking about the countless ways my kids make me smile everyday. Now I know sometimes they don't make me smile but regardless of what they're doing they are mine and I love them so much. After I helped Luke finish up the paperwork he jumped into the tub with his brother, and I watched them play and splash together. Luke is this little skinny guy and Seth is so cute and chubby, and I just hope that I always remember what they were like at this age. I know occasionally my life seems like dishes, diapers, meals...start all over again but really I make memories with my kids everyday. I wouldn't trade this job for anything. I don't have any new pictures to post, but I thought I'd post one of my favorite pictures of my boys when Seth was only a few days old. This was taken the first morning we woke up in our new house.

Luke and Seth, May 2007

8 comments:

jami v. said...

jen, i love this post! :) i think all moms feel like you - we do the same thing again and again and again - feed them, play with them, nap them, start over again - but you are right. we are making memories, and one day they will be big and grown and we'll be so glad we were there with them every day, laughing at their silliness and watching them grow. :) i guess i just have to remember this "memory" part when the days get crazy and rough and the screaming never stops! :) oh the joys. thanks for the memory reminder ... and thanks for the sweet picture of your boys! :)

jami v. said...

ps-luke is jer jr, i swear! when i hear the things that come out of his mouth i just crack up! :) too funny ...

Marie Rose said...

so so cute....I just love your kids. I think they are adorable!

Jen said...

Jami, you are so right about the Jer Jr. part. He may look like me, but he is his dad's personality all the way. I think that's a good thing.

Jenny said...

What a sweet picture of your boys at the bottom of this post :)

Hi, my name is Jenny Burbank too :) and we have one son named Seth :) (my maiden name is Harrison and my family lives in Wellsville). I found your blog through Kim Adams (a HS friend from MC). I married Josh Burbank from Cub River, who is TJ and Jeremy's cousin....Boyd and Cindy are in our ward here. I carpool with Amy (TJ's wife) to take K'Lee and Seth to Sunshine preschool each week :) They will also go again together this next school year. I have seen pictures of your kids in the PLMW office :) I think it would be great one day to meet you :) I think my husband Josh was more TJ's age in school though, so I don't think he knows Jeremy too well. If you would like to check out our blog you can go to burbankfam3.blogspot.com I hope you don't mind if I add you guys to my link list on my blog! Thanks for letting me visit your site :) Love, Jen

P.S. our blog is private, so if you would like to check our blog out you will need to e-mail me (so I have your e-mail address), then I can send you an invite to read. Thanks!!

Judd Pickett said...

Your story about the big surprise was great. I laughed out loud and then told it to Ellie. Thanks for the smiles. The kids look great!

Nicole said...

the poop story is so funny! We will take all Luke surprises with caution

Kristy said...

Hey Jen
Don't you love toilet talk and potty training for that matter. It is fun to hear about your cute kids! We miss you guys.