Thursday, April 12, 2012

One Month Ago

I've added nearly as much to this blog today as I have all year so far, but we've just had such big, major, fun things going on I can't let it pass. Once I finish this I am going to clean the bathrooms and mop the floor or die trying. Everyone is sort of napping or playing or at school right now, so I better grab this chance while it lasts!

Today is the one month anniversary of Leah's Gotcha Day...so here's a look at that roller coaster of a day in pictures.

Jer was pacing by the door for hours while we waited and waited.

I was just about as nervous and anxious as I've ever been in my life at this point.  Every other family had their baby by now, and I had watched and photographed it all through a haze of tears and I thought I might burst if she didn't show up soon.

The first Leah sighting...Paul stood lookout for us at the end and took this picture as she came in from the parking lot.

Our first look and feel of Leah in the flesh.  After months of waiting all the while hoping, praying, and thinking about her incessantly...there she was!

Bring on the ugly cry face..it was emotional.  She looked so tiny and scared all bundled up in that gigantic snowsuit.

One of our first family photos.  At this point everybody in our group was taking our picture.  I'm sure it was totally overwhelming for Leah.

Our guide going over the few items that were sent from the orphanage with her.

Jer signing on the dotted line to take guardianship of Leah for the night.

Jer and his baby girl...he was hooked immediately.

Posing with the less than pleasant (especially the lady in red) orphanage workers who brought Leah before they walked out the door and never looked back.

Our first shot back at the hotel after we stripped down the layers to find a scared, sweaty, smelly little baby who had no clue where she was or what was happening to her.


One month later...Leah is beautiful and sweet, and we are so glad she's finally here.  What a blessing she is and what an amazing transformation she has begun.  Many people have commented that Leah is a lucky little girl.  I get what they mean because compared to where she's been her life is so much better but her beginnings certainly can't be described as lucky.  I think we're the lucky ones.  I have a daughter!  That still sounds weird.  Weird but good.



Yesterday I went back to volunteer at Luke's school for the first time.  He begged and pleaded for me to bring Leah.  Luke's teacher is amazing and has been so interested in Leah and the adoption, so she was very excited to see her.  All of the kids reacted so positively and just thought she was the cutest thing ever.  The best thing to see was Luke's face as he was literally beaming with pride and love for his little sister.  One month down, forever to go.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

One month...really, already! And, I don't think you have ugly cry face...you look great! Time for another trip to the park or at least lunch while they play in the sandbox or something!

jami v. said...

ok. so you thought you had the ugly cry face in the picture, what about my ugly cry face i have as i read this entire post and then the tears still keep coming!! :) (yes, the fed ex man who just delivered something had that "should i ask her if she's ok?" face when he looked at my ugly cry face. :) )i'm so happy for you! i'm so happy for your family!! i'm SO happy leah gets to be with your family forever. what a lucky, amazing little girl - who has just joined a most incredible family!! xooxoxxoxoo