Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mother's Day

I'm way behind with my record keeping and some things will just have to go by the way side. For example, all the boys went up with Jer to the annual ward Father/Son overnighter...they had a great time. The whole family participated in Luke's school Panda Fun Run--both Luke and Seth got third place in their age divisions and were so excited to earn ribbons...that was great. I just can't let Mother's Day come and go though without making special mention of it. I felt extra blessed to be a mom this year, and I'm so thankful for the special moms in my life. Obviously I have a great mom and mother-in-law who love me and my kids, are incredibly supportive, and are great moms and grandmas. I spent a lot of time though in the few days leading up to Mother's Day thinking about two other women in my life. One whom I've only met a few times in person yet feel like I know so well and truly love and one that I will never meet...my kid's birth moms.

 I had the privilege of meeting with Seth's birth mom before he was born, in the hospital, on Seth's placement day, about a week later, when Seth was about six months old, and one last time when Seth was almost two and she got married. She is a beautiful, amazing person that made such a hard choice for Seth. Even though our face to face meetings have been few we share a very special bond and that is our love for Seth. She wanted us to be Seth's family and for his sake experienced lots of heartache saying goodbye. I am grateful everyday for her sacrifice.

 The situation with Leah's Chinese mom is obviously very different. I know nothing about her, and I will never have the chance to meet her in mortality. They say you shouldn't sugar coat things for adopted children or try to turn their story into a fairy tale. You're supposed to stick to facts. That can be difficult when the facts at face value seem cold and hard. The truth is Leah was raised by someone for about three weeks and then was left in a very safe, public place where she would easily be found and helped. She was in very weak condition. I do know that her birth mother chose to give her life and bring her into this world and because of that I have a daughter. I may never understand the circumstances and social pressures that lead a mother to abandon her child, but I would like to think the situation was dire and that it was with tears Leah was left behind. Whatever the reality is, because a woman half a world away gave Leah the chance to live, she is now my daughter. We couldn't love her more.

 My children have certainly taught me that biology is not the most important thing. Regardless of how my kids joined our family, they are my kids, and I'm so blessed. (Now if I could just remember that all the time--when mothering gets tough.) If you would have told me five years ago I'd be a mother of four I would have laughed...yet here I am!



2 comments:

jami v. said...

such a sweet post -- and you made me cry!! you have an amazing little family!

Mandy said...

We're so lucky to be mom's- even when it's so hard! :)