Thursday, September 24, 2009

Our Garden

I am burned out with my school work, so I thought I'd blog for a minute because it is more fun. We put in a garden this year, and I'm really glad. We've eaten a lot of fresh veggies. It is not a pretty sight...half of it is still weeds, but I have big plans for the future. I have three boys who are going to need some yard work to do to keep them out of trouble. Along with the rest of our yard, we will get it done in phases.


I already knew zucchini went a long ways and now I really know. I've been up to my eyeballs in zucchini. When I don't pick for more than about a day this is what I end up with. The boys have been pretty excited to go tromp around in the mud and help me pick stuff. We've also watered it by hand all summer, so they both like to use the hose in dirt...which of course makes mud.


Cowboy Luke doing the work. For a while we had an infestation of squash bugs, and we were on a mission to kill them. He worked pretty diligently with me for several days in a row to get the "bad bugs." We had them by the bazillions. During one of our killing sprees a huge thunder/hail storm started, and we had to make a run for the house. Luke had on his rubber boots and ran out of them/fell down on the way. I was pretty much just thinking of myself and running for cover, but I did end up going back to help him at the same time Jer came out to assist. We all got completely soaked in a matter of seconds. He now insists on wearing boots that are "better for running" while gardening.

We've had tons of tomatoes and Jer and I have had lots of BLTs this summer...actually they are usually just BTs or BATs (avocado). Very good. We've had to race our neighbor's chickens to the ripe tomatoes and that has resulted in a very unhappy Jer at times, but we've had plenty. My mom and I spent a fun afternoon chasing kids and making salsa which turned out really good. That's my canning effort for the year. Now when I have extra stuff I just take it to my neighbors whether they want it or not. Next year I'm definitely putting in some berries. I took Seth to my neighbor's house to pick raspberries the other day and he was in heaven. I could not get them in the bowl faster than he just ate them.

Sidenote: When Luke brought Seth into the house the other night looking like this the first word out of his mouth (before I could even ask) was "nothing!" I think I know exactly what kind of "nothing" happened to Seth.

3 comments:

jilljohnson said...

I can not wait to have a garden next year.

jtandj said...

That pic of Seth is so cute!! Nothing is the word with one million reasons!!

jami v. said...

jealous of your garden ... and can't wait for one next year! :)

love the pics of farmer luke.