Monday, November 9, 2009

Skills

I've been thinking a lot lately about being a mom and just parenting in general. Since this blog is my main journal, I want my kids to know I actually spend lots of time thinking and praying about how to help them best and don't just leave it to chance! Being a parent is a huge responsibility. I learn something new everyday and there are lots of things I wish I could have a redo on. If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would be a stay-at-home mom of three boys I wouldn't have believed you. Not until we started trying to have kids and couldn't did I realize just how much I wanted to be a mom. And not until I was pregnant with Luke did I start realizing that I wanted to be home with my kids all the time. It took a few years to make the choices to make that happen, but for me it has been the best thing. I'm really grateful Jer has been totally on board with our family plan. I really struggled my first year, but now even though I sometimes miss my former life my life now is good, and I don't really have time to miss it too much! I have learned so much about myself (not always good) and about what it means to love these little people so much.

I'm glad that our skills eventually (at least I'm hoping) catch up to the tasks we have at hand. Before I had kids I could teach high school kids all day, deal with parents, grade papers, and travel around the country to biotech classes but I would have laughed (or cried) if I had been in charge of several small children all day. I recently had a day where I watched my kids plus a few extra, baked and decorated sugar cookies, made chili, made a run to the grocery store with 4 kids along, and made some last minute Halloween preparations...things actually went quite smooth and I couldn't help but think about how much I've grown. Now before I sound too confident there are lots of days where chaos reigns, multiple kids are crying, the house is a mess, and leftovers are for dinner again, but we need to celebrate our victories, right?

Here are a few other parenting firsts for me lately:
**The first one is not so pleasant. While Seth was supposed to be napping, he changed his own poopy diaper. Yes, wipeys and all. Use your imaginations on this one.
**Yesterday I took all three boys to church by myself for the first time. Jer was out of town, and I braved it. By the time we all got ready and got there I had already had just about enough fun, but we made it!

6 comments:

Mandy said...

It is SO hard...but you're right, it's also so rewarding! You're a very patient, wonderful mom! :)

jami v. said...

ah, you are a good one. and i'm so impressed at your achievements (i dont' even go to the store alone with my 3 kids, let alone adding more to the mix) - and church alone, yeah, no. :) pat yourself on the back (or jer can give you an "atta-boy" :)) for those. :)

parenting is hard. on more than one occasion i lay in bed and vent/cry to jas that our day didn't go how i wanted and i'm sure i'm ruining our kids....parenting. who would have thought. it sure makes me appreciate my parents. guess we are lucky we learn and grow and little by little start to figure things out. :)

Jen said...

You both are too nice. Believe me there are lots of crazy days around here when I wonder what the heck I'm doing. But what can you do but just try and do better the next day? Good thing they're so cute.

Katie Stacey said...

Your post gives me some hope! I feel like we are in such survivor mode right now. Hopefully things will get easier in the near future!

Kristy said...

It is the best job...funny I did a similar post. The craziness is worth each little person that we get to have in our life.

Burbank Family said...

I think your a awesome mom you are a very patient with them