Friday, October 1, 2010

Very Random Happenings

Because this is my family journal I'm going to try to do a catch-up post on all the stuff I never blogged about this summer. This is totally random and in no particular order and will probably interest no one so don't feel obligated to read on.  My kids are playing inside for once (in Luke's case it's because he's in a bit of trouble and can't play with friends today), so they are ransacking the basement while I do this.



















 










I cannot make this new editor behave, so I guess the text will be here.  The top pic is Luke and Seth with their summer charts.  We set some goals and made a list of lots of things to do this summer and did most of them.  They earned stickers for days when they did their "homework" and chores without complaining.  A few days ago they went and spent their loot.  Luke chose a "How to Train Your Dragon" weapon set which is so him.  He loves to dress up and pretend to be a cowboy, explorer, superhero...he was so disappointed though that the helmet didn't fit.  It was perfectly round and not even close to big enough for his big noggin.  Bummer!  Seth picked a big robot that makes lots of noise.  Yippee!

In June the boys played t-ball.  Neither of them had ever played before, and they don't seem to have much interest in it.  In Seth's case it may just be his age but with Luke he really doesn't like it much.  We'll see if that changes.  I've never been a baseball fan at all, so I won't mind if they don't want to go there.  The team was for 3-7 year-olds which was way too big of an age/ability gap.  Jer was their coach.  The one and only girl on the team loved him.  It was a big hassle for him because his job does not exactly lend itself to being somewhere at 5:00, but he did great!


Over Father's Day weekend Jer was supposed to run in his steeplechase, but he couldn't due to the massive sprained ankle he got training over Memorial Day.  We had booked a room at Little America to stay down there at the race, so we decided to go anyway.  It was our first kidless getaway since Ian was born and it was awesome!  We ate out a lot including P.F. Cheng's where we would never go with our kids, went to a late movie, slept in, and had an amazing brunch at the Grand America.  We stopped off at my parent's house on our way back to pick up the kids and celebrate the holiday.  The Picketts came down for dinner and it was great.  These boys are like uncles to my kids, and we love them so much! 


Lots of fun swimming at the pool, swimming lessons, and home with friends and cousins.


A fun weekend in Salt Lake City with friends.  I met Kristy and kids on what has to be the hottest day ever at Thanksgiving Point.  Luckily we spent most of our time at the dino museum.  When we ventured to the petting zoo we almost died...but we had fun!  Then we met up with Jer and a bunch of other friends at the Miller's house in Holladay.  The guys hit the road for a bike ride on Saturday, and we hit the Gateway with the kids.  Good times.

We have done a few races this year.  We both ran the local half marathon in August.  Jer mostly biked after hurting his ankle, so I would give him about a D for training.  I would give myself maybe a B-.  It was fine though.  I was a few minutes faster than last year, and I didn't have to breastfeed at the finish so that was a plus.  It was a hot day which is really bad for my head.  My migraines have become such a nuisance.  I just plan on having one whenever I get hot exercising which is pretty much each time I train during the summer plus I just get some for no reason.  My pills usually counteract them pretty well.  Well, I had a pill in my running shorts for the finish.  Unfortunately it was a pretty hot day, and the race did not start at the crack of dawn when I usually run.  Needless to say I got a bad headache which was not improved with any of my pills which led to bad puking later in the evening accompanied by dehydration which led to a trip to the E.R.  That was really fun.  At the E.R. they decided to give me some meds by I.V. which took two people and about 3 hours to accomplish.  Just this week I tried this 3 day IV treatment that is supposed to help a lot, but the verdict is still out.  Jer also ran in a very hilly, trail half marathon at Snow Basin last weekend.  He did great despite the fact that he thought he was cramping, ate a bunch of salt, and puked for 10 minutes during the race.  It was beautiful up there and I want to do this one next year.  Running on trails is much more my thing than pounding the pavement.


Trip to Tony Grove.  It was one of the only cold days we've had in recent history and was about 50 degrees, but we had a fun hike around the lake.

Just in case this wasn't the longest post ever I'm also glad to say I finished my master's project a few weeks ago.  What a relief!  Getting babysitters or my mom and getting up to USU at least once a week for the last 6 months has been a huge pain.  I still have lots of writing and more coursework to do but everything else can be done at midnight in my p.j.s.  Okay I've neglected my kids for long enough.  That's it.

2 comments:

jami v. said...

such a fun catch up post! love the new pics ... and love hearing what fun you had this summer. such a cute fam!!!

Kristy said...

That was fun to meet up. We should do it again!!