Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Goodbye Husqy

I'm trying to do some blog catchup so I thought I'd post about a bittersweet event (for Jer and Seth) in our family this last month.  We've been the proud owners of this very old Husqvarna 500 2-stroke for quite some time.  We decided it was time to sell it and use the proceeds to buy a much-needed new computer.  We were amazed at how much we got for a 1983 bike.  I guess it's quite a collector's item, and they just don't make them like this anymore.  Jer took Seth, who is our motorcycle buff, on one last spin around the neighborhood for old times sake.  (Don't feel too bad for them...my dad's dirt bike that he has kind of permanently lent to us is sitting out in the garage still!)

I thought now would be a good time to record a funny story about Jer and this dirt bike.  To say this is a fast, powerful motorcycle is an understatement.  It is a butt kicker!  When Jer and I were first married my dad had this bike at my uncle's house up in Laketown.  Jer decided to take it for a spin (with my dad's permission of course because it was his back then.)  This was a classic "I told you so" moment in our marriage.  I pointed out to Jer that this was not a little putt, putt dirt bike and maybe he should be careful.  He dismissed me and recounted his extensive motorcyle riding experience.  Well, he took off in the dirt down the side of the road and when he hit powerband the bike wheelied up big time.  He actually did quite an impressive job of hanging on and almost rode it out but didn't.  He got bucked off and took some amazing, long jumping strides through the air before eating crap.  He rode back a minute later with a sheepish look and some sideways handlebars.  Was I worried about his safety?  Not so much...I pretty much gave him a Scotch blessing for being dumb!  It is a story that has been retold and brought us lots of laughs since.  He has had a lot of fun riding the Husqy since, especially when we lived in Willard.  Goodbye old Husqy...on to your next victim!

1 comment:

jami v. said...

so funny ... tears in my eyes ... hehe