Friday, October 12, 2012

Fall Photo Fun: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Photography is becoming a fun hobby for me, and I'm learning more all the time. I'm getting better at both shooting and editing, but I still have a long ways to go. We've been about and about with the kids in the beautiful fall weather. This is the mildest, most scenic fall we've had in a long time. I absolutely love this time of year. The scenery was beautiful and the kids were cute, but I had a lot of photo flubs on these occasions. I've since fixed quite a few things and redeemed myself with some better shots like the ones of Leah in her room. I also took some pictures of my cousin's new baby that turned out cute.  He was so calm and sweet so that was a lot of fun.  This post though includes a lot of photos that should be in the reject bin...hopefully I'll see an evolution in my skill as time goes on.  It's fun though and my camera's already full of a bunch of new images if I could just find the time to do something with them!

Every year we take the kids up to Tony Grove for a stroll around the lake.  The leaves in the canyon were amazing...I won't bore you (not sure there's anyone out there) or myself with all the leaf pictures.  Leah absolutely loves riding in the car with the windows down.  She looks like a happy little puppy with her hair blowing in the wind!  Almost every picture I took on this day is a cautionary tale about focus...you just can't edit out blur oh and proper exposure would be nice.  My camera on auto would have done a way better job.  Whammy!





Isn't the group shot above sweet?  Nobody's in focus, Leah has a snotty nose, and Ian well I'm not sure what to say about him.  Seth found this raft and had to try it out.  It did indeed float.





On the pumpkin day I didn't do much better. This time it was mostly because I had it way too wide open for taking pictures of a group...sorry kids only one of you can be in focus at a time with these settings.  Sometimes I forget there's that little screen where I could just go ahead and check myself before taking lots of bad shots.  I remember that now.  The group shots of the kids could have been way cute...if only.












This last set is from a little jaunt up Prov Canyon. I've run up here a lot this year, and I love it. They have most of it closed off right now, but the leaves are amazing. I just took the littles to the bottom, and we explored a little. Again, focus and exposure were an issue. The lighting was pretty tricky. There are some cute shots though. The second shot of Leah is blurry, but the leaves were so pretty I kept it in. The shot of Ian on the trail would be so stinkin' cute if only it was in focus!






Ian's hair is so white that it can be tricky to photograph in some lights.  No matter what I did to these the other colors looked right, but his hair looked just a tiny bit green.  Hmm...he's cute though and it was a fun time.  Practice truly makes perfect with this, or at least better, so I'll keep clicking.

No comments: