Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Waiting Begins

Hi! This should be my last post about IVF for a while. Jer and I went in Tuesday morning for the much anticipated embryo transfer. It's kind of fun because all the nurses are so excited for you and congratulating you. Of course, I'm not pregnant yet but there's a 60% chance I will be, and they are by far the best odds I've ever had--except that one time I actually was! The doc discussed our embryos and discussed the procedure with us. We had Dr. Hahmoud this week who I really like. He did a lot of our IUIs two years ago when we were going down there a lot. He's one of those docs that actually seems to care about you. In fact, he's so sympathetic that I somehow ended up in tears before our discussion was over. He said I should take some Valium. I honestly thought he was kidding, but he came back in the room like 2 seconds later with 2 pills and a cup of water. I could just picture him out in the hall saying, "We've got a crier in here--valium STAT!" Oh well, I guess it's fairly standard practice for the embryo transfer day because it makes you nice and relaxed.

The procedure itself is no big deal. We did get a pic of our embryos and got to see them on a TV screen before they transferred them. One of them is to the blastocyst stage which is where it should be by day 5 and the other was a bit behind but still growing well. One of the others had arrested its development and the remaining two didn't sound too promising as far as future use, so we made the decision not to freeze them. After it's over they have you lay there for a while--I fell asleep in like a second thanks to the Valium. They take you out to a wheelchair and instruct you to rest, practically bed rest, for the next few days and then take it very easy until your pregnancy test. We go down for our blood test on August 17th! Jer had to practically haul me around for the next few hours and I was about comatose on the drive home. Apparently that stuff really affects me. Thanks to Jer and my mom I have been taking it very easy. They have been helping out with the around the house stuff and doing all the heavy lifting with the boys. By the weekend I should be back to normal other than I can't run or do anything else too crazy. I know you've all been praying for us, and I am so grateful. Keep it up. We really need these little guys (or girls) to implant.
Realistically optimistic, Jen

10 comments:

jilljohnson said...

Jen-
It is so amazing to have followed you through this process. Take it easy and we will be praying and waiting with you. Let me know if I can help.

Bear River Photographic Society said...

this is so awesome i am praying for you guys.

~Our Family~ said...

Jer & Jen,
This is Cindy from Idaho. I talked wit hyou at deer cliff inn a couple of weeks ago. I know exactly what you are feeling and going through with the Ivf I did 2 fresh cycles and 2 frozen cycles it does work.. I wish you guys the best of luck, we are thinking about doing it when Braxton gets a little older too I just needed a break from all the injections and stress of the whole thing. I will keep watching your blog to hear your news. I can't wait I hope that you are pregnant.. Much love to the both of you. Cindy

jami v. said...

it was so good to hear you voice and chat for a few. :) maybe we should do it more often. :) ... we're anxiously awaiting the 17th right along with you, and just know we love you lots and as always you're in our prayers. :)

Jenny said...

Good luck you guys!! I hope everything turns out great, so could you have triplets if they all worked?

Kristy said...

WAIT, HOPE, PRAY!!!!

Kimberlee said...

I am so excited for you guys! I can't wait for the outcome. We will keep you in our prayers. It's been kind of cool reading about how this whole process even works. Good luck!

Burbank Family said...

Jen
I am so excited for you and will continue to think of you in our prayers. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Michelle W. Nate said...

What a process this has been. I'll be thinking of you. I'm sure you'll let us know if you are pregnant. If not I know Cindy will be telling us. Good Luck! Michelle

Amy said...

Jen and Jer-

I am so excited for you! This process seems so amazing and quite the experience. I truly hope that you get pregnant so that you can have another child to bless your life. Good luck and take it easy. I can't wait to hear the results! I hope it all works out. You and your beautiful family will be in my prayers. I love you!
Amy