Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Today

I just posted about Ian's birthday so please scroll down to his pics...I don't want to steal his thunder. I thought I'd take a minute though to write down what today was like. Today wasn't particularly extraordinary, but it is a good example of what it's like to be the mom of little kids. I know most people reading this can relate. It seems hard to believe that at some point I might actually forget what these crazy years were like...and miss them (I know I will). Maybe years from now I will read this and remember the day to day craziness of being a mom right now. Maybe I will be able to share some humor with my daughters-in-law or whoever else I know that's at this point in their lives.

Okay here's a rundown of my day. After getting Luke to the bus stop, I rushed out the door with Seth and Ian to head in for Ian's check-up. Why did I take the 8:45 am appointment you ask? I don't know...because I am an idiot, a glutton for punishment, a slow learner...any of the above. I'm rushing in right about 8:45 when Seth needs to use the bathroom. (I know my stories always go here so I'll spare the details, but this sort of thing occupies a lot of my time right now.)

We got up to the desk but instead made a beeline for the bathroom. Luckily it has not been used yet, and it is only a one-holer. Seth says he needs to pee but while he's doing that begins to do something else. In his defense, his stomach has been a little off. I put Ian down on the bathroom floor, attempted to catch falling debris with toilet paper, and got him on the potty in the correct orientation. I then attempted to clean up (I was actually prepared with a clean pair of undies that have been in the bag for months). This included taking off all of Seth's bottoms, shoes, etc. while Ian is exploring the bathroom floor on his hands and knees. I swear no less than 10 minutes later we are all cleaned, washed, and ready to check in.

The start had been less than smooth, but I was still optimistic. That began fading after Ian took a header off of this carpet platform he climbed onto while I was paying and proceeded to scream. During the screaming, the receptionist handed me a marker and a developmental checklist to read through and fill out. Really? With what appendage would I accomplish that? So when they called his name two kids, clipboard, diaper bag, and I struggled into the office. Lots of waiting, tears, and four shots later we were good to go. I left with a runny-nosed, teary eyed Ian who was quickly tangling his sticky sucker in my hair and a curious Seth who would not leave the building until he had played with the big door opener button for what seemed like forever.

We had to stop and get groceries on the way home which actually went quite smoothly. Except for that part where Seth pushed our cart off by itself into the parking lot while I was putting Ian into the van. When I saw it (fully loaded still) it was picking up a good rate of speed heading for some parked cars. That is when I broke into full sprint and caught it just in the nick of time. When we got home I had Seth "helping" unload the groceries when I noticed he had disappeared for a few minutes. He turned up in the back of the van unwrapping and eating lots of newly purchased saltwater taffies. All I could do was smile when he looked up at me with a big smile and lots of drool running down his chin.

To be honest none of this really fazed me all that much. Life is always a bit chaotic, but at the same time mostly manageable with these munchkins. It's the days when I do let it faze me when things don't go well. I am slowly learning to relax more and react less. I do have great kids, and I love my time with them. We ended the day standing in pouring rain/gale force winds watching Luke's soccer game. That was actually one of those moments that makes all of the sometimes mundane stuff I do worth it. He is like night and day from fall soccer. He is such a hustler now and has scored lots of goals. One in particular was a big breakaway from everyone else and when he turned around and looked at me with that huge smile on his face--that's what it is all about. After we returned home like a bunch of drowned rats the kids had baths and dinner, and we read some books before bed. Seth and I got this dumb book at the library about a llama that is mad at his mama, but at the end he loves her. On that last page Seth put his chunky little arms around me and gave me a big squeeze. I am a truly blessed, and I don't want to ever forget it.

8 comments:

Burbank Family said...

I have to laugh at your day. It sounds like mine the last couple of days. The early morning appt. are so you can get in and out fast that is why I do them. But when you are hurrying in the morning you wonder why you do those morning appt.

KW said...

LOL!!! This is too funny. I love it. The joys of being of mother of three! Happy B-day to Ian. I can't believe he's already one. Luv the pic of you and him-too cute :)

jami v. said...

jen, i need to do more posts like this, but unlike you i've still yet to relax more and react less. sometimes i think "why did i just freak out about that? that's silly!" so i'm going to take a note from you, your chaotic (but wonderful) day, and do more posting about the happy chaos that fills my life right now. :) xoxo

Katie Stacey said...

I love your posts, always! They are always so funny and I can always relate. From the doctor appointment with two kids, to the runaway cart and sprint through the parking lot to the grocery snitch. I swear doctor's appointments are always crazy for us. It seems like Savannah always acts up the most when I take her with me to doctors appointments. Our doctor probably doesn't think too highly of Savannah! And I totally know how you feel, its so much easier to laugh at the craziness than to let it get you down.

BeckyB.West said...

These hectic, maddening days make for the best posts:) I've got that line in my brain now: Relax More, React Less. It will take me some practice. If it weren't for those tiny, sweet moments, I think we'd begin to wonder why we're really doing all this work. Cute post!

Jen said...

Believe me, I don't have the relax more react less thing down yet, but I'm trying. I get way too excited about a million things each day, but I'm slowly learning that it doesn't help and in fact usually make things worse. I know lots of you are much calmer than I am!

Shea, Kim, Hunter, Reagan, Samantha said...

So funny and so true!!! You could add to the story pushing a baby jogger with one baby and one "small child" while holding the hand of your five year old and encouraging him to run a mile!!! Precious moments!!

Marie Rose said...

Oh Jen you make me laugh. I was laughing at loud and work and everyone kept staring at me but I didn't care...good stuff. One day I will meet Mr. Luke and we will catch up....one day