Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Thankful

Before I head right into posting all the Christmas pics I am already behind on I really should mention Thanksgiving.  I have a lot to be thankful for.  We spent a great day with Jer's family this year followed by some Black Friday shopping with my mom and breakfast with cousins.  We mixed in some stomach flu both before and after that made its way through the whole family just to keep things interesting.  We got tickets to the USU football game the Saturday after Thanksgiving but that morning was when the pukes hit me, so I had to stay home while Jer took the boys.  While Jer was on his way home Ian puked in the van!  I could have done without the sickness, but we still had a great week/weekend.  I am so grateful for the many, many blessings I have....the gospel, my family, freedom...the list would be very long.

November is also National Adoption Month, so I feel like I should make a belated plug here.  Adoption is an inspired, amazing process that has blessed my life so much.  I am grateful everyday for the way Seth and Leah came into my life.  I am especially grateful for the people that gave them life.  Seth's birthparents are amazing people who sacrificed so much for him to be a part of a family.  We couldn't love him more.  He's my big teddy bear...such a sweet kid.  He is so fun at holidays and special times.  He loves it, and his excitement is contagious.  He is loving everything about kindergarten this year...every craft, every song, not to mention that he is a good little reader already.  He writes each of us notes with pictures multiple times each day right now that are so cute.  I think he may be a little budding artist...or chef.  He loves to help in the kitchen!  What a great kid.


Leah's story is different but last month with her birthday and the two year anniversary of when she was found and taken into the orphanage I have thought a lot about her China mom.  I can only imagine the circumstances that brought her to that point, but I'm so glad that she brought Leah into this world and I hope that she can have some peace and some knowledge that Leah is okay.  We love this little girl so much.  She has brought an added measure of love and joy into this family, and she continues to amaze us.  She had her two year checkup the other day, and it was so exciting to show off her progress.  She has gained about a pound a month since we've been home and is finally on the charts in the 8th percentile!  Her height is a different story.  She's growing but hasn't quite made the chart yet.  She is running around the house being quite bossy, and she's starting to talk quite a bit.  Her best sentences begin with "I want _______."  She has cute ways of saying all the family members names and has also picked up some less than desirable phrases from her brothers such as "chicken butt."


And of course Jer, Luke, Ian and all the rest of our family and friends are there at the top of my list of blessings.  After spending a morning with Leah at Shriner's Hospital last week (where her check for hip dysplasia showed no problems) I was reminded of just how great it is to be healthy and have healthy children.  People have such tough trials in this life, and I am truly grateful for all that I have.

No comments: