Sunday, July 7, 2013

Memorial Day

Jer was busy working at the house on Memorial Day, but I met my parents at the cemeteries in Wellsville and Providence to visit my grandparent's graves.  I took a few cute pictures of Leah by my Grandma and Grandpa Bankhead's headstone.  My grandma died when Luke was a baby.  I'm sure she never imagined herself with a Chinese grandchild, but she would have loved and accepted her wholeheartedly.  She would have truly "delighted" in my kids—that I know with certainty.




Next year we will have one more grave to visit.  My mom's mom passed away last Monday.  She hasn't been like the grandma I knew as a child for a very long time, but it is still strange that she's gone.  We live in their house right now, and I often think about how they raised seven kids here.  I have tons of good childhood memories here.  I do believe they belonged to the greatest generation, and it's weird that I no longer have any living grandparents.  My grandma was super clean, and I'm pretty sure she would not be impressed with my housekeeping skills around here this summer.  My best memories of my grandma include the time I was visiting from Jackson with my family and I lost the hamster I had purchased in her house.  It turned up in the drawer under her oven—causing a lot of shrieking.  Another time my parents left me here for a few days (after I begged them) and then I got really homesick.  My grandparents took me to McDonald's, bought me a little doll, you name it to try and make me feel better.  I'm remember telling my grandma that if she loved me, she would drive me home!   My mom and I lived here for most of a summer while my mom was finishing her master's degree at USU.  Every morning that summer my grandma made me white bread toast with butter for breakfast.  My grandma always had such a fun Christmas Eve party.  I looked forward to it even as a newly married person.  She really went all out.  She also put on an amazing Thanksgiving dinner with delicious homemade pies.  My grandma was a very generous person.  She was very supportive of activities, blunt to a fault at times, and she could be lots of fun.  I will miss her, and I respect her a lot for working so hard and raising seven kids during tough times.

1 comment:

jami v. said...

what a sweet post about your grandma ... my mom told me she had passed away. it's always hard to lose them, even when age has changed them. i'm sure she is LOVING that her house is full of little people again. :)