Friday, June 6, 2008

Big Birthday Boy!

As hard as it is for me to believe, Luke had his fourth birthday on Wednesday. Crazy! I was brave and we had a party with lots (12 to be exact) other three/four-year-olds. I know that totally violates the rule of 1 or 2 kids per age of child. Oh well, we have tons of kids in our neighborhood plus cousins and other friends close by. We didn't even go to friends from preschool or other Primary friends. I planned on the party being outside, but of course it was rainy and cold, so we held it in our unfinished basement and on the patio outside. All of the kids were great and it actually went really well. Luke asked me first thing when he woke up on Wednesday when everyone was coming, so it was the longest day ever until 4:00 rolled around.

Luke's theme was dinosaurs. He's a big fan right now. One of his little neighbor friends told me right away that she didn't like dinosaurs--sad day for her because it was dino-everything! The kids dug for toy dinosaurs, got sweet dinosaur tatts, hit a dino pinata, and ate a dino cake. They all seemed to have fun for the most part and there were no meltdowns or tantrums! If moms earned merit badges like Scouts do, they would earn something for their first kid birthday party. I totally understand the every other year thing now.

It was fun though and seeing Luke have so much fun with his friends was well worth it. The next day was like Christmas when we played with every single toy he got. He was totally spoiled with tractors, balls and bats, dinos, swords, guns, fishing poles, camping stuff....he loved everything!! Earlier in the day I was coaching Luke about how he needed to say thank you for every present, and I made the mistake of mentioning that he should thank even if it was something he already had. He looked at me and said, "If I get something I already have, I'll just say, let's take it back to the store!" Seriously? He had this naughty look on his face and kept repeating that response to me throughout the day. Fortunately, he got no repeats and although I'm not sure he thanked for everything (the gift giving part was quite chaotic) good manners prevailed. You may have noticed that he received all kinds of weapons--yep--two swords, a water gun, and a gun with a holster. I have avoided guns up to this point, but I've noticed he pretends to have guns anyway. I decided the good men in my life like my hubby and my dad played with guns--both toy and real--as kids and seem no worse for the wear. After watching him and his little friend Blake "shoot" at each other from like 1 foot apart, I am trying to hammer home the point that guns are for shooting at pretend bad guys and targets--not people! I'm pretty sure the gun will be a toy that gets taken away for days on end just like the sword he got in DisneyWorld. Oh well, it will be fun while his good behavior lasts!

I got a supposed "kiddie mix" from Sam's Club to fill the pinata with. I noticed after that one of the candy kinds were jawbreakers. Really for kids?? I was so worried about if after the party (if you don't know me I have a tendency to stew about things) that I called up everyone's parents and told them to watch out for the deadly party favor I had sent home.

I had so much fun looking at Seth's baby pics that I stayed up until the wee hours looking at old pics of Luke the other day. I made another little slide show. I just can't believe four years has gone by. I included that very unflattering pic of myself right before going to the hospital to remind myself that I really was pregnant. Sometimes it seems like it never happened because it has been such a struggle, but there's the proof! Now if we could somehow make that happen again. Luke would not like the song I chose--he would definitely request something "louder," but being the sappy mom I am--I love it. Don't feel pressured to watch the whole thing --there are a lot. You will probably have to pause my playlist and shrink the music video to enjoy!

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Happy Birthday Luke! Stella turned five in March and Miles three in April. I can't believe how they grow so big in a flash! Stella will go to kindergarten this fall. Crazy. Looks like the party was fun. They are a lot of work but worth it!

Julie said...

Jen,
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I am happy you did. You look exactly the same as you did back at USU. We had a lot of fun that year. Your boys are so dang cute. I will come visit a lot!! It was good to hear from you. Take Care - Julie

jami v. said...

so fun ... and cole still has the tattoos to show for it! :) and i love the early pics of mr luke too. how fast they grow! :)