Friday, October 16, 2009

One Man's Trash

Looking back I haven't posted anything about Luke for quite a while, but he has been a busy boy. We've also been up to lots of fun stuff the past few weeks, so hopefully I can post again soon. Luke is a quirky kid with lots of little habits that crack me up. I'm a pretty particular person and I'd say Jer is borderline OCD about some things, so I'm not sure he had much of a chance. Luke is such a junk hound. Everything is a treasure to him. Every week or so we have to dejunk his backseat of the van where he has collected precious objects like cup lids, wrappers, straws, pamphlets, and any other little thing he's been able to get his hands on. To him none of that is trash...it can all be played with. He has a backpack filled to the brim with "hunting stuff" including the heaviest rubber snake in the world, one sock, his hunting paper and single marker, a whistle, several balls, and a plastic pocketknife just to name a few. He also loves to get geared up. He can often be found wearing an old Batman cape, gardening gloves, goggles that are minus the lenses, a bright green sweatband, rubberbands, and some sort of hat, give or take a few items. I'm sure someday Luke will look back at this stage of his life and laugh. I know our neighbors who have seen Luke riding his bike around wearing the above mentioned get up topped off with his bike helmet have. Luke is a fun kid with a great imagination, and I appreciate that he can find entertainment and value in just about anything!




Luke can be a terrible tormenter, but he can also be the best big brother ever, and he often says how glad he is that his brothers are part of our family. His brothers both think he's the best thing ever.


Luke played fall soccer this year and had lots of fun. You had to be five, so he was one of the youngest and definitely one of the smallest out there. It took him a while to get in the game, but by the last few weeks he did great.


Note the sweatband. That went just about everywhere we did this summer or fall. I asked him once why he was always wearing it. He looked at me like I had rocks in my head and said, "in case I get sweaty." I am super slow sometimes. It may make a mysterious disappearance this winter.

Luke in action.







I still can't believe Luke is in kindergarten. He is loving school and doing great. He is learning a lot and has already improved so much with his writing which is something he has always kind of fought me on. I get to help out in his class every other week, and he is so excited to have me there. I know his face won't always light up when I arrive at his school but for now it does! We usually have a little time together in the afternoon while his brothers are sleeping to work on his homework and talk about his day. (Okay, I ask a million questions and get an answer here and there if I'm lucky!) We've even had a few days cold enough for some afterschool hot chocolate. It doesn't last long until he wants to be off playing in the neighborhood with friends, so I have to steal these moments while I can.

2 comments:

Michelle W. Nate said...

He is such a cute kid. I love their imagination at that age. :)

jtandj said...

Luke is so cute! I love the comment about him loving you at school. Jord loves it when I come, Tay... not so much!!