Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Child Find

So I had a parenting first yesterday. I lost Seth. Not for a long time but long enough. I made the huge mistake of not putting him in a cart when I was running into Smith's Marketplace for a minute. He ran away from me back by the baby clothes/toys and then hid. I called for him and looked all up and down the toy aisles and then through the most crowded kids clothes section in the world. I guess I should have been worried about kidnappers or something but we were practically the only ones in the store, and I was 99% sure he was hiding from me.

After my unsuccessful search I asked a clerk who announced that they had a "child find" in progress and then proceeded to describe him over the intercom. Less than 30 seconds later another employee saw him and then he ran to me. He had the most mischievous look on his face, and all he said was "hiding." I then attempted to put him in the cart, but he was extremely uncooperative and would not put his legs through the holes. He's not exactly the tiniest kid, so we were struggling and it kept making the cart roll away. At this point the same employee asked me if she could help me. I was by now embarrassed and sure only psychiatric help or a spa getaway would be of any help, so I gave her a quick no thanks and sat Seth in the front part of the cart sideways and headed for the checkout. Two-year-olds!

(I must note that the only other time I let Seth go cartless he ran away and I was chasing him round and round a check out stand at Walmart. Yes, I have been beaten in this game by a two-year-old...twice. I think it's some sort of IQ test I'm failing.)

7 comments:

Katie Stacey said...

That is so funny. It sounds like my life. Savannah's favorite game is running away from me at stores. It's great fun.

Shea, Kim, Hunter, Reagan, Samantha said...

I shouldn't laugh at the grocery store incident but I am. I have been there and it is so FRUSTRATING!! I shared your same thoughts about the slide at the Heritage Farm. I couldn't believe that it was legal...no gear and no waivers...only in Wellsville!!

Kristy said...

Oh yes...we have all experienced this. I always question why I ever enter a store with three small children. I love the new family photo!

jami v. said...

little farts! who knew houdini was hiding inside all 2 year olds (and still in 4 year olds :) )you are better than me, though. the minute they are out of my sight i get all nervous and think someone is sprinting through the store, to their car, with my kid in their arms.

Mandy said...

He is the most michevious little thing! I love it!! :) Sometimes Jace hides from me too, and it makes me CRAZY!! Maybe you should get one of those backpack leash things! :)

Burbank Family said...

Cute and Funny

jtandj said...

I love Jordan and Samantha at Kohls and the clerk had to call a "code yellow" Low and behold they were both hiding in a rounder of clothes. When I found them they said, "it was really hard to be quiet when everyone was looking for us!" Darn kids!!