Thursday, February 26, 2009

Big Baby?

I had a check-up today and it looks like this baby is following in Luke's footsteps and could be a big baby. That's not exactly the news I was looking for. Don't get me wrong--I'm not after a scrawny baby or anything--but I'm not trying to set any records either! The ultrasound I had a few weeks ago estimated my due date at about April 10th or 11th which would be almost 2 weeks early. My doc basically told me not to get my hopes up--that just meant the baby was big, but he could still easily go to term. Luke was born about 10 days early at 8 lbs. 6 oz. My doc then was shocked at his size...so was I. He also had an extremely big head. When the nurse saw his head she said, "That's the biggest head I've ever seen." Not exactly comforting considering I wasn't done birthing the bigheaded child yet! I kind of wanted to punch her in the face or something. I'm measuring a cm big right now and the doc is estimating this could be an 8.5-9 pounder if I go to term. Yikes! I'll admit that scares me a little. Oh well, can't wait to meet this chubby guy, and I'd be totally excited if it was just a week or two early! At least this time around I won't let the doctors examine his head. Poor Luke had to be sedated and get an MRI when he was a year because his doc was so concerned about his gigantic cranium. Turns out he just had a big head. He gets that from his Grandpa Steve (or me if you ask Jer)!

7 comments:

~Our Family~ said...

Wow April is just around the corner. I didn't realize that you were due so soon or I just lost track.. Maybe IVF babies are bigger for some reason(medication). Colton he weighted 8lbs 5 oz when he was born.. Matt and I were like 6lbs.. Who knows.. I can't wait to see some pictures of your little man... Yeah

Kristy said...

That really is so soon! Maybe you will have him on Miles b-day April 6th! It is a great day. Miles and Brighton were three weeks early!

Candi Merritt said...

My brother's kids all have big heads, too! When one of my Nephew's was little, we always worried that he would look funny when he grew up! Luckily, he grew into his gigantic head:) Glad to hear you are doing well.

jami v. said...

jen, that is coming up! but it means that i'm right behind you so go ahead and birth your big baby!! :) hehe ... honestly. i'll be crossing my fingers that little ian is just right, and not too big! (especially in the head area.)

Burbank Family said...

I understand the thought of a big baby. I will hope you have a just right baby. And that you will have him early just for you sake

Mandy said...

Hopefully the Dr. are wrong, and you're early! It's no fun squeezing out gigantic babies! :) Just remember, they're wrong a lot. THey were guessing 1.5 pounds over for Jace....THank goodness they were wrong!

Marie Rose said...

oh dear! I hope it's not a 9 pounder for your sake! Well, I'm with ya on hoping he comes early. Good luck!