Monday, May 12, 2008

Moms

Yesterday I had the best Mother's Day. Just the fact that it was Sunday and we got to spend all day as a family was great. My boys (that includes Jer) surprised me with a little present Sunday morning. It's the neatest necklace. Luke also re-gave me the present he made at preschool. He said he painted on a "thing he doesn't know what it's called" (a.k.a. flowerpot) for me. As Luke and Seth helped me with my card, and I had my whole family within hugging distance I was reminded how it's not really the things that matter. The presents were sweet but just being married to Jer and having my two cute boys is present enough.



We went to my cousin's mission farewell and hearing him talk about how much he appreciates his mom and how she has helped him get to where he's at really made me fast forward for a minute to when my boys will be nineteen and leaving on missions. I sure hope I make the same kind of impression on them. I also got to see both my mom and Jer's mom and feel so lucky to have them both in my life. They are amazing moms and grandmas.



I have been thinking a lot lately about my sweet Seth and his birth parents. The last few weeks have brought some really important anniversaries in our adoption journey. At the end of April of last year we heard for the first time that Seth's birth parents were considering our family to place Seth with. Needless to say it was hard to think of anything else for the next week until we got to meet them in person. We met them for the first time on May 3rd of last year. They told us later that day that they had chosen us. That was one of the scariest, happiest, most exciting, and most emotional days of my life.

With Mother's Day and Seth's birthday approaching I have thought an extra lot about his birth mom lately. I am thankful for her everyday and the choice she made to let me be Seth's mom. She is such an amazing person and I have learned a lot from her about faith, sacrifice, love, prayer...you name it. The day Seth was placed with us was one of the most bittersweet days of my life. I literally ached and was torn up inside about what she was going through and at the same time I was overjoyed that we had a baby. A year later I still feel very emotional about it, but I also know that everyone involved is happy with the decision. I can't really remember life without Seth. I feel he was always meant to be a part of our family. I find myself in some weird way being grateful for infertility because that lead us to adoption and Seth. My life has forever been changed in the most amazing way possible by her decision. She is going on to do great things in her life like graduating from college this past week. I am so proud of her. So Happy Mother's Day to all the moms in my life.


5 comments:

Kristy said...

Ok Jen, you are making me cry! I am so happy for you guys. Seth is such a sweet boy and being a mom is the greatest blessing (even if there are days..)!

jami v. said...

jen-i was just looking at my calendar and thinking about little seth and his birthday, and all that went with it :) it's such a sweet story. isn't it amazing how our lives are blessed by others?
happy mother's day, to a mom with two beautiful amazing little boys!

Jenny said...

It's the other "Jen Burbank," I know you don't know me that well, I'm sorry if I'm an annoying girl you don't want reading your blog, but I just have to say that your post made me cry! I haven't found that many people that are in (or were) in the same boat as Josh and I are....not only do we have the same name and our son's are named the same, but I am also having infertility problems, actually we have been trying to get pregnant for the last 3 1/2 years. If I'm not pregnant by July (in working with all of the Chlomid doses) then it's on to S.L.C. which I doubt we could afford, since our ins. does not cover infertility. Your post made me cry because adoption is something I have been thinking a lot about, but feel that it is something that we could never afford. Josh isn't sure he's ready to take that step yet and I guess I don't totally know how I feel about it either. Just know that you are so lucky :) Happy Mother's day as well.

Love, Jenny Burbank

Kimberlee said...

Beautiful post! It too made me cry. you have such a tender heart and Seth was always supposed to be a part of your family, he just got here a different way. I hope you had a great Mother's day.

Marie Rose said...

That was an awesome post. I can't even imagen the feelings you must have had. I'm so glad you have seth. He's such a cute boy. Both your boys are adorable. You're an awesome mom....I don't doubt that you will have a HUGE impact on both their lives. I love ya!