Saturday, May 10, 2008

Random Thoughts and Book Tag

I have been totally unproductive today, but I figure that's okay once in a while. I took care of the kids and hung out with the fam, but usually when they're occupied I do "stuff." Not today. My house is kind of a mess but when Jer and Luke were gone and Seth was sleeping I totally wasted time.

I decided that I'd had it with the lack of music on my iPod and spent quite a while downloading songs and creating a playlist for myself. It really was kind of a necessity. Jer got me an iPod nano for Christmas and I still hadn't put many songs on it. For a while I only had several "Love and Logic" books on there. Jim Fay is pretty entertaining but not exactly motivating while exercising.

The final straw was a few weeks ago when Jer and I ran in a local 5K. I decided at the last minute to take my iPod. Once I got running I realized that most of the songs on there made me want to pull off the side of the road and take a nap. The only songs I had that were the least bit energizing (this is really sad) were Justin Timberlake "Bringing Sexy Back" and Eminem "Lose Yourself." (Quick disclaimer: they were both the clean versions and those are the only songs I own by either of those artists. Not my normal taste in music.) Needless to say when I was rolling across the finish line listening to Eminem singing about 'vomit on his sweater" for like the third time I decided something needed to be done. I have several upcoming running/biking things I'm training for (or should be) and I needed a decent exercise mix. So I guess that big story was to justify the time I spent this afternoon making a regular listening playlist and an exercise playlist for myself. Goodbye Eminem.

Now on to the book tag. Jami sent this to me forever ago and I kind of forgot and then went on vacation. Kimberlee and Mandy have also tagged me with other things which I promise I'll get to one of these days!
Here are the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book (at least 123 pages).
2. Turn to page 123
3. Find the 5th sentence
4. Post the 5th sentence on your blog
5. Tag 5 people

Now, I'll be honest. I don't even have a book in sight. I had to go back to my nightstand and grab one from my stack of books I might get to someday. I actually did take this book on our trip to Florida though. In fact, on the way there it was in my carry-on. I'm not sure what I was smoking thinking I would have time to dive into a huge novel. It has 973 pages. Yikes! I've heard this is really good though, so one of these days I'll start it. The book is "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. By the way -- on the way back this book was safely stowed in my check-in bag where it belonged.

Here's the 5th sentence from page 123.
"So it's just a traveling knight or a tinker every day or two."

What does that mean you ask? I have no clue. I haven't even started the book. I tag Kimberlee, Marie, Nicole, and Kristy.

I'll wrap this up but while I'm on the subject of books, here are a few I've read recently (meaning in the last few years) that I've liked: A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Twilight Series, and most recently The Thirteenth Tale. Any recommendations?

2 comments:

Marie Rose said...

Jen,
You are hillarious! I was cracking up. I totally get the ipod thing. My ipod broke or something and when i go running I sing to myself (which isn't very motivating) I think it was time well spent. I think I should do the same and figure out what is wrong with my ipod because singing to yourself turns into "how much longer can I run?" thoughts.

jami v. said...

i hope you found some good running music! (at least you have time to run ... me, i'm just running from room to room keeping cole from killing miles! :))

you are going to really like pillars of the earth - while it is a little lengthy, it's good. :) so get started! :) i'll start brain-storming some recommendations for your nightstand! :)