Thursday, July 31, 2008

Successful Egg Retrieval

Here's a quick post about today's procedure. I had my egg retrieval done this morning and it went well. They use "conscious sedation" for this one, so I don't remember much at all. Jer watched the whole thing. As they aspirate each follicle, they take the tube to the embryologist, and they look to see if there is an egg there. We had 12 eggs, but a few of them were from smaller follicles and are likely immature. Anyway, it was a great result! I feel relieved that those eggs are out of me--I was worrying about them all the time! We won't know anything more until the embryologist calls us Saturday to let us know how the fertilization went. The waiting game begins. Tonight my shot-free streak (okay it was one day) is over. I have to start the one I've been dreading from the beginning. It's called progesterone in oil and it goes into the buns (really more like hip) through a gigantoid needle--every night!! I'm not sure I'll ever be able to give this one to myself. If I get pregnant I continue it the whole first trimester. Each time you need an intramuscular injection, the nurses draw a bullseye with a sharpie where the shot should go. I've now got one marked on each hip so Jer will know what to aim for. I find that part kind of funny. One of the nurses called them my infertility tatts. All of my docs and nurses have been great, and I am truly grateful for the miracles of modern medicine that make this a possibility!

7 comments:

Shera said...

I am glad things are going well so far! Good luck!

jilljohnson said...

That is awesome that you had so many eggs. I would not have been able to have given myself any of the shoots. You have been so brave through this whole process.

Kristy said...

Wow. What we will do to get those sweet angels! Weird I work in health because I really really hate needles so I am so proud of you. And I am so happy all is going so well. We will keep praying hard!

Nicole said...

hooray! We'll pray for your eggs....and for all your painful shots and fo Jer with that huge needle.

Mandy said...

YEah! 12...just want you wanted! Like everyone else, we're praying for your eggs too... that really does sound weird, but we'll do it anyway! :) See you tomorrow!!!

jami v. said...

yep--count us in on the egg prayers too (that sounds sort of sacreligious but still, you know what i mean :) ) ... and good luck with the shots. all i know is it's a good things they gave you your "tatts" so jer doesn't go crazy and hit the wrong spot! :)
you're in our prayers

This Idaho Girl said...

Jen, I'm Eric Westerberg's sister. We had in vitro almost two years ago (our twins just turned one)! I think I have the same infertility issue as you (never felt better than when I was pregnant). We now have seven kids in cold storage. I didn't think progesterone was so bad. My hips/butt hurt for awhile but it's all worth it, right? Good luck with the waiting. I can totally sympathize with you.